Here's a little something from the mailbag. Thanks Mike, fka Mboto!
I don't talk about my hometown
very often, but this captures it vividly in 36 bullet-points. Also, it gives me content on a day when I don't have time to create content. And that, my friends, is what we call a win-win situation. So sit back and take a brief journey with me...You know you're from Rochester, NY when...
1. "Waking up with the Wease
" doesn't mean that you have a respiratory infection.
2. The thought of eating a "garbage plate"
makes your mouth water.
3. The only thing at the annual May Lilac Festival
4. The worst four-letter word you could say is "Fuji".
5. You can't swim at the beach
6. You thought that you had figured out that alternate-parking thing, but wind up with a ticket anyway.
7. Toronto is about 70 miles away, but it takes four hours to get there
8. The name "Greater Rochester International Airport"
is bigger than the airport itself.
9. There's an 800 number to report a pothole in the road.
10. You know that a "Can of Worms"
is not something that you take fishing.
11. Your baby's first word is "Wegmans
12. You ask lifetime residents where the George Eastman House
is, but they don't know either.
13. In a city where it snows at least 90 inches a year, they build a new sports stadium with no roof on it.
14. It can be 70 degrees one day, below freezing the next, and you think nothing of it.
15. Your mother is buying outfits to wear to Wegmans
16. Your low-fat diet is never low enough to exclude an Abbott's custard
17. You order a white hot
and a pop
, and the counterman knows what you're talking about.
18. You can travel from Egypt
in about a half-hour by car.
is a newspaper, not a medical procedure.
20. There are no hamburgers, only ground steak.
21. You can go to any mall on a Saturday and see at least 5 people you either work with, went to school with or dated.
22. A musical comes to town 10 years after its Broadway premier and the entire town goes nuts! (e.g. Miss Saigon)
23. You awaken from a deep sleep, look at the clock and see that it's 6:00, but you have no idea whether it's AM or PM.
24. When 18+ inches of snow
falls overnight, but you never thought of NOT going to work.
25. You are perplexed when friends from other cities come to visit and want to "see the sights
26. A flagpole strung with white lights
seems like an acceptable alternative to a municipal Christmas tree.
27. In winter if the temperature hits 45 degrees and the sun comes out, people walk around downtown wearing shades and no jackets.
28. There are places at the poles that seem to get more sunlight during the winter months than we do.
is somewhere to go on a Friday night, for entertainment.
30. You know who Vinnie and Angelo
31. You define summer as three months of bad sledding.
32. You think that people from Pennsylvania have an accent.
33. Halloween is snowed out with great regularity.
34. You have experienced frostbite and sunburn in the same week.
35. Your year has two seasons: Winter and Construction.
36. Half the change in your pocket is Canadian, eh.
Ah, nostalgia. And I'll be back in just a few weeks, where a four-day visit will drive every last ounce of nostalgia out of me.
Oh, and not that you've gone through Rochester 101, you'll better apprciate this article... from the D&C, of course.