Wednesday, January 12, 2005

IN MEMORIUM

A friend of mine -- Lisa Stocker -- was struck by a vehicle and killed last night. Lisa was loud and opinionated and could knock back the booze and smoke cigarettes with the best of them. She was also a fellow author, and our books share shelf space at our favorite watering hole. In fact, the whole 'Famous Author' routine began between us as a form of greeting several years ago.

She was great.

I'm not going to pretend that no one will miss her more than I will. So many people will, including her long-time partner and close circle of friends. I was just one of the many, many people drawn into her orbit. I didn't even have her home phone number. And despite talking about it for a few years, we never actually got around to signing each other's books. You always think there's a lot more time.

As I wrote, she was loud and opinionated and could knock back the booze and smoke cigarettes with the best of them. She was also funny and loyal and intelligent and passionate. She would also probably threaten to kick my ass for posting the picture above, but it's the only one I can find, so... sorry, Lisa.

This is rattling me more than it probably should, but -- in my own inadequate way -- I wanted to pay tribute to a great, great woman.

Rest In Peace, Famous Author Lisa Stocker. Thanks for letting me get to know you.


UPDATE: The New York Daily News has a nice article on Lisa. I'm glad her life didn't go unnoticed.

(And, yes, it is now Thursday, January 13. Keep up, yo!)