Wednesday, October 15, 2003

STATEN ISLAND FERRY TRAGEDY
My rule: it's not my deal to comment on strictly local NYC news stories. That's for Gothamist or 601am or Gawker.

But rules were made to be broken, so here we are.

As you undoubtedly know by now, a Staten Island Ferry crashed into its pilings a few hours ago, and one ten twelve fourteen fifteen ten people have died, and many others have been seriously injured.

As of roughly 9 PM, less than six hours after the accident, people are falling all over themselves to blame... the wind.

Yes, there were gusts of 40 mph or so out on New York Harbor this afternoon. But these are biiiiig boats. I took that ferry line twice a day -- ten times each week -- for a year, and I'm telling you now: biiiig boats. BIG! Get it? These boats have survived residual hurricane winds and, well, the occasional real hurricane. These are not wimpy little shrimp boats bobbing in the Gulf of Mexico.

And Sandra Bullock wasn't on the Staten Island Ferry this afternoon, either.

Here's my opinion, totally formed by guessing: Major Staff Fuck-Up.

I suppose I could be proven wrong... but I doubt it. I think someone in control had a lapse of attention and judgment, which is okay if you're me, but the opposite of okay if you're, say, an airplane pilot...

... or a ferry pilot.

I hope I'm wrong. I'm sure we'll learn soon enough.

UPDATE: Accoring to NY1, the ferry captain may have tried to commit suicide. The plot...thickens.