Monday, February 02, 2004

A HUMBLE REQUEST FOR TECH HELP, PART II
A handful of you might recall that a few months ago I tossed out a request for advice. True, no one responded, but this site is slightly more popular these days, so I thought I'd try it again. Here goes. Don't be shy.

For the past few years, I've had a website -- RobByrnes.com -- hosted by Yahoo. For some reason, though, Yahoo is not accepting my updates to the page, rendering it essentially useless. (Not to mention the fact that I've never been able to send mail through the site... but that's another bitch for another day.)

In short, I need a new host. And I'd like your recommendations.

It is also imperative that I keep the domain name, since it's now mentioned on tens of thousands of book jackets and promotional materials. I know that it's possible to move the domain name to another host, but if you've done this, I'd appreciate your insight.

And then there's this blog. I would like to fold it into the future redesigned RobByrnes.com site (on the new host, of course). Fortunately, Blogger makes that transition fairly easy (or so it seems), but if anyone can share their experiences with me, I'd appreciate it.

Deep down, I know that none of this stuff is the heaviest of lifts, but I'm not very technical, and I'm a bit scared of jumping from the frying pan into the fire, so your knowledge and experiences would be helpful, if only to point me in the right direction.

Let me add that I'll also love you forever, if that will make a difference.