Thursday, June 21, 2007

GAY WRITERS ON GAY WRITING
Some intersting thoughts, although nothing you haven't already heard here and on the blogs of my writer friends:
There was agreement on the panel with Schulman’s statement that "The marginalization of gay literature is tragic." She continued, "I also think it’s sad that currently straight white men like Michael Chabon and Jeffrey Eugenides are thought of as the experts on gay literature." Mallon argued that pulling gay fiction out and putting it in its own area "sends a signal that these books are about a specific experience and the undercurrent of that message is that the experience probably won’t apply to the majority of readers."
Read the whole thing here.

Oh, and also? I can't remember with whom I was recently arguing that Michael Chabon is straight, but -- once again -- I was right.