Monday, February 11, 2008

AND SPEAKING OF BLOGGERS AND THERAPISTS
Via Towleroad, I just ran across the blog '90 Day Jane,' the on-line musings of a woman who claims she is going to kill herself in 90 85 days.

Awesome. Hopefully in 85 days, there will be a live feed to YouTube.

Does that sound cruel? Yeah, I suppose it does. For what it's worth, I wouldn't be writing this if I thought there was a shred of truth to the whole thing. Jane's blog is riddled with so many contradictions and inconsistencies it's hard to take it seriously. I am all but certain this is yet another not-so-funny blog farce.

Two things jump out and set off my bullshit alarm:

1. Why wait 90 days and blog about it? If you're going to do it, no one can stop you. Jane writes:
With roughly 3 months to look at my life from a truly temporary perspective, I wonder what realizations i'll have. Will I suddenly become a sentimental person? Will I tie up loose ends? Will I rekindle relationships long forgotten? I doubt it, to be honest. It's not like I have terminal cancer or something. It's a truly selfish thing I do now (was that Dickens? ha ha) and I plan to live my life as I always had, but with this new perspective. I'll go to work, I'll have a social life, I'll date, I'll celebrate and then I'll check out.
So there's no reason to wait... except for the attention. Uh-huh.

2. Jane later writes:
I really want to reiterate that this is a public but anonymous record and was not meant to be a big thing. I didn't think anyone would find it or even care if they did. I guess I was wrong... Honestly, I've been thinking about stopping the blog.
She gets twice as many comments per day in a blog less than a week old than I get in daily readers. Seems like someone -- the someone being Jane -- isn't doing a very good job of suicide-blogging on the DL.

There is nothing wrong with being an attention whore, of course. My problem comes when you don't deliver the goods. So, Jane, I look forward to your Official YouTube Suicide in 85 days.

I'll even wear black.

PS: I did you a disservice by ommision. So please note that the comments are the best part.


UPDATE: I think I was pwned, as the kids would, uh, type. A Towleroad commenter notes that there is also a site out there titled '90 Day Joe.' Parody of Jane? Viral marketing? General random weirdness? All three? Eh... whatevs. I still want to see it on YouTube.