Thursday, July 17, 2003

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT
At this particular point in my life, there are a lot of things going on. In the interest of public safety, I think I should give you a quick summary.

Work has been a grind, and I'm starting to burn out after eight months of 50 hour weeks. I need a vacation, but there is still too much I have to put behind me first. And in any event, I don't have any...

Money, because I (a.) made a few erroneously optimistic assumptions about my potential income earlier in the year; and (b.) took on some heavy financial commitments as a result of those assumptions, leaving me in a huge hole. Not that I could spend money anyway, because I have a...

Deadline to deliver the manuscript of my next novel to my publisher in two weeks, but since I've been tied to the office, I'm way behind, so now I'm spending every waking non-office moment on the computer. Mornings, nights, weekends, and all of this without...

Air-conditioning.

I keep going because I know that the manuscript will be done by the end of the month, job pressures should lighten up, and the financial woes will be somewhat under control. But for the past few weeks, the muscles in my back have been knotted up from stress, and I expect to remain in physical discomfort and under mental pressure for the next few weeks.

Which is my way of saying that you don't want to piss me off right now. It would be highly advisable to wait until August.

Thank you. That will be all.