Monday, November 26, 2007

HOME FROM THE HOLIDAY
Last night Brady and I returned from five days in Rochester. Five days with my family. Five days without the Internet. Five days without e-mail.

And somehow, I survived.

Highlights:

* Someone quite unexpectedly came out to us, and told us he considered us role models for being so open about our relationship. Uh... glad you appreciated that, but I'm not sure if I'm up to the pressure of being a role model. Let alone the standards.

* My maternal grandmother was adopted? How come you waited almost five decades to tell me that? It sort of renders this a useless exercise!!

* I heard enough extended family gossip to fill a week of Jerry Springer. Awesome!

* A cheeseburger on a hard roll with mustard, onions, and hot sauce and a side of onion rings from the LDR Char-Pit is pretty much as close to heaven as I'll ever get.

* My sister's boyfriend's deep-fried turkey is the second closest I'll get.

* Returning home, we passed a pick-up truck on the New York State Thruway full of deer. Dead ones, of course. But I'm not just talking two or three, I'm talking twenty. Okay, maybe that's not technically a 'highlight,' but it was pretty freakin' weird and notable.

* My reading at the Pittsford Barnes & Noble went quite well, although I don't think I will ever get used to reading from my Big Gay Books with my father in the audience. I was sorry that a number of people I had looked forward to seeing weren't able to make it, but I know that individual lives are funny that way and these things happen. I hope to catch them the next time.

And finally, as nice as it is being back on the home turf, it felt great to get back home and climb into a familiar bed. And, for that, I truly give thanks!