Wednesday, November 17, 2004

WHY WASHINGTON SUCKS, PART 59,765
Senator Fritz Hollings expresses the sort of candor reserved for elected officials 44 days away from retirement:
"We had five drunks or six drunks when I got here," the South Carolina Democrat told his colleagues. "There are no drunks in the United States Senate now. We don't have the time." He also noted that upon his arrival there was only one female senator, Margaret Chase Smith (R-Maine), and she didn't say much. "We got 16 or 17 now and you can't shut 'em up. . . . You get in a debate with Barbara Mikulski or Barbara Boxer and they'll take your head off."

More drunks? Less women? More drunken women? I don't know the answer, but at least there are some ideas now on the table.

(Via Wonkette)

By the way, I appreciate your cards and letters wondering where the hell I've been. I'm here, but incredibly busy. That is, incredibly busier than usual. And all good bloggers know that work trumps blogging every time. Usually.