Monday, October 17, 2005

LET'S SCAM THE TIMES, WANNA?
So a few minutes ago before I left for work this morning I was skimming the on-line version of the New York Times 'Metropolitan Diary' feature (reg req... you'll get over it). If you're unfamiliar with Metroplitan Diary, it's sort of the weekly Reader's Digest section of The Times. People send them items like:
As my 6-year-old and I were crossing the Transverse on the M79 bus, I was shocked when he turned to a gray-haired man and loudly asked him, "Are you President Clinton?"

I was even more shocked when I realized that it was President Clinton! And then I thought, 'How appropriate that one of our most articulate politicians was riding an articulated bus!'
You know... inanity like that.

So here's the thing: I think we should create a fictional Diary entry, and send it to The Times. But not just any Diary entry, because -- let's face it -- if I sent in the 'Bill Clinton-articulated bus' story, it wouldn't be a challenge. No, our Diary entry has to be over-the-top, while stopping short of being altogether unbelievable. It will be tough, but I have confidence in us.

Okay, let's make this a bit more challenging. I am now about to randomly select ten words that we will have to include in our amusing little story, taken from the fifteenth word in the most recent entries posted on selected blogs. (in the case of 'the,' 'and,' etc. I'll skip to the next real word.) The ten words are:
1. stressful (via Gatsby's Ghost)

2. just (via Crash)

3. Cleveland (via MAK)

4. trust (via Tuna Girl)

5. time (via Hot Toddy)

6. Geraldo (via Hikaruland)

7. Prime Minister (via The Scottish Guy... and, yes, I know that's two words and therefore cheating. But this is my blog and I make the rules)

8. Gulf (via Greg, who, by the way, needs to update)

9. age (via Downtown Lad)

10. help (via Pua)
Those are good words. This should be fun.

Because I'm all about deadlines these days, let's put this item together by next Monday, October 24. Leave your thoughts in the comments or drop me an e-mail.

Prankishly yours,
Famous Author Rob Byrnes