Monday, September 11, 2006

HOUSEKEEPING; or THINGS YOU SHOULD KNOW
Well, the slight change of seasons has done me a world of good. The crispness in the air has lifted me out of my summer lethargy and reignited my productivity. And yay for that. I try not to discuss the day job here, but I will admit that for the latter half of the summer I was burned out. I thought I needed a vacation -- well, I do need a vacation -- but, for now, I am back in form.

So in the spirit of catching up on things...

1. Thanks to the folks at Lambda Rising for all their hospitality, and especially to Mary Kay, who got the party rolling. ("Read to us," she implored, and I did... even though some of the 'us' didn't want to be read to. You know what? Screw'em.) Anyway, I had a great visit to Washington, and I hope to be back soon. In the meantime, LR has a stock of personally-autographed copies of When the Stars Come Out, so you know what to do.

2. WTF? The Gay American is appearing on The Twatty McGee Show? And not me? So, so wrong.

3. I think I will have a few big book-promotion-type items to announce in the next few days, so stay tuned.

4. Okay, so The Gay American’s got Oprah… but I’ve got you. Which would seem like a decent trade-off, if you had billions of dollars and could make my book an instant best-seller, but you can’t so... uh... where was I? I know I had a point to this.

Oh yes! For one last time, mark your calendars!

Thursday, September 14, 2006
6:00 PM - 9:00 PM
"When the Stars Come Out": The Launch Party
at
VLADA
331 West 51st Street
(betw. 8th and 9th avenues)
Manhattan


If you have a book, bring it and I'll sign it. [Note: this strategy works best if it's actually one of the books I've written.] But if you don't have a book, don't fret. Thanks to the Oscar Wilde Bookshop (15 Christopher Street, Manhattan; 212-255-8097; they also have signed books in stock... just sayin') you can buy a book on Thursday night right in the comfort of your own bar space! Aren't modern times wonderful?

And if you were a good girl and/or boy and ordered your copy of "Stars" when you saw it was an InsightOut Books Editor's Selection, but it has not yet arrived, I'll just catch up with you later. It's not as if any of us are going anywhere, right? Like, say, on Oprah...

Better yet, rumor has it that some other celebrated authors will be in the house, so look for Greg Herren, Andy Zeffer, and Kevin Scott. Oh, and this one, too. (Ooooh! Java programming!) And representing the non-writers, we hear that a certain West Coast blogger plans to join the party.

So remember: Thursday night. Vlada. Books. Drinks. Famous Author Rob Byrnes. Other celebrities. Totally better than sitting alone at home watching another episode of Nancy Grace and drinking yourself into a stupor. You know, like last night.

I hope to see you on Thursday!