WORST. FAMOUS AUTHOR. EVAR!
You know, for someone with a book coming out in a week -- officially, that is; I hear that some of you have already received your copies of Straight Lies -- I have been extremely negligent with the care and feeding of the blog. Personally, I blame... (closes eyes and randomly points)... Scott-O-Rama and MAK. If they hadn't stopped blogging, this would have been taken care of weeks ago!
So after you send them your hate mail, listen up. I gots things to tell you.
1. I finally once again have a web presence that's not this blog. Go to RobByrnes.net for the latest. And I'll stop you before you go there: yes, it needs work. I have a life, okay? I'll get to everything, including a new staff page (which will only mean something if you've been reading my stuff since 2002. If not, where were you?)
2. My mailing list now stands at about 500 names, but I'm sure I've missed a lot of you. If you want those important updates about Everything Byrnes, e-mail me and I'll add you.
3. If you're going to be in New York City next week, we're havin' a party to launch Straight Lies. The important info:
Thursday, April 2, 2009
6:00 PM to 9:00 PM
The Ritz Bar & Lounge
369 West 46th Street
No RSVP needed, but I'd love to see you. If you're so inclined, we'll also be selling copies of Straight Lies, as well as my backlist. In fact, we even have a special deal: $40 will get you trade paper copies of Straight Lies, When the Stars Come Out (winner of a Lambda Literary Award I stole from Timothy James Beck), Trust Fund Boys, and The Night We Met... that's $57 worth of literature! Who says I'm not sensitive to the global economy? [Note: AIG bonus babies can get these four books for a mere $915,000... still a value!]
4. Even though you'll no doubt note the Amazon links, please support your local independent bookseller, especially those of the LGBT variety. For a few dollars more on a purchase, you're protecting a valuable institution in our communities. Except that one bookseller that never returns my calls or e-mails. Those people can just wither on the vine until they collapse.
5. Also, InsightOut Book Club members are encouraged to buy their hardcover publication of the book, which I think is scheduled to be a featured selection this spring. If you're not a member... why?
6. And have you bought Fool for Love yet? It is extraordinary! Felice Picano, Greg Herren, Trebor Healey, Andrew Holleran, Joel Derfner, Rob Williams... plus a group of writers you'll be hearing a lot from in the next few decades, including my friends David Puterbaugh, 'Nathan Burgoine, Mark G. Harris, and Jeff Ricker. Not to mention the editors -- Timothy J. Lambert and R. D. Cochrane -- who made even me look good. Buy this book!
7. Which reminds me: R. D. Cochrane -- better known around these parts as "Becks" -- has written an absolutely wonderful sequel to her first solo novel, A Coventry Christmas. I loved A Coventry Christmas, so I don't even know what word to use to describe her follow-up, A Coventry Wedding. It was just about perfect... or maybe it was perfect. Boys and girls, if the idea of a "romance novel" leaves you cold, read these books. I know you'll become a convert.
8. Finally, I need to nod to my favorite book of 2008: Frank Anthony Polito's Band Fags! I loved this book! And I am so excited that the sequel, Drama Queers!, will be out in a few months. Pre-order now.
9. How many times do I have to beg you? MY e-mail is Rob@RobByrnes.net. Do it!
10. This space intentionally left blank.