Thursday, February 24, 2005

MEMED!
First, let me state formally and for the record that I am not a music person. My bedside clock radio is tuned to 1010 WINS, I only know who Jessica Simpson is because of her husband (mmm.... Nick....) , and for some reason I can't play CDs on my 8-track. Must be a technical glitch.

Second, I hate Tuna Girl. Got that? I hate her because she is forcing me to do the Music Meme. Also, she made an age joke at my expense, and only I am allowed to make age jokes at my expense.

So anyway, let me get this damn meme out of the way. This shouldn't take too long.

1. Total amount of music files on your computer: Zero. Zero GB, zero files, zero. Nada. Nil. None. And the rest of you shouldn't have any music on your computers, either. You should be working or blogging.

2. The last CD you bought was: It's been a long, long time, but it had to have been Michael Holland's Beach Toys Won't Save You.

3. What is the song you last listened to before reading this message? Sorry, but I have no fucking clue. Whatever it was they were playing at Posh last night. I'd ask my friends, but they wouldn't be able to help me out, because they stood me up! I do know that yesterday my friend Steven and I kept sending alternating verses from The Night the Lights Went Out in Georgia to each other, but I don't think that counts.

4. Write down 5 songs you often listen to or that mean a lot to you:
Here we go: songs that either date me [Date you? I hardly know you] or are too obscure for you to know. I guess this is what makes it fun, right? Anyway...

1. Weekend in New England (written by Randy Edelman; performed by Barry Manilow) -- Hokay? Yeah, a little. But this is the song my boyfriend and I bonded over, so how could it not be my favorite?

2. Trash (written and performed by Michael Holland) -- Ahem. This no longer can legitimately serve as my theme song, but it's fun and hits close to (my former) home. My anthem for the fall of 2001. And the antidote to Weekend in New England.

3. But Not for Me (written by George and Ira Gershwin; performed by Holly Near) -- A classic, and Holly owns it in this live recording.

4. Now/Soon/Later (written by Stephen Sondheim; performed by every Broadway and community theater actor born before 1988) -- Three expository songs become lyrically intertwined in this early number from Sondheim's A Little Night Music. Beautiful. Plus, if I don't include a Broadway number I'll lose some homo-cred.

5. Walking After Midnight (written by Don Hecht; performed by Patsy Cline) -- It reminds me of someone from a long, long time ago.

5. Who are you going to pass this stick to? (3 persons) and why?
* Greg. Because he's new to this blogging stuff and we need to figure out what he's all about.
* Hot Toddy's Toaster Oven. Just 'cause.
* Crash. To encourage him to blog about something other than food.

Okay... now I need a drink.