Thursday, March 09, 2006

THEY CREATE CONTENT SO I DON'T HAVE TO
Sorry about the lack of blogging. Too busy at almost everything to find the time. Plus I'm trying to figure out how to use my new Treo.

My new phone makes me feel very old. But enough about that.

Greg Herren had a great entry the other day on why he is "the luckiest bitch on the planet." You should read it. Because if he's the luckiest bitch, I'm in the top ten. Greg and I have followed different paths over the past few years (and, of course, he's much better known within the industry), but his words hit home with me.

Over the past few months, I feel like I've finally started to come into my own. Oh, this probably could have happened earlier, but -- and I know you might find this hard to believe -- I'm pretty abysmal when it comes to self-promotion. Now that I have a third book ready to roll, though, I think I'm gaining the self-confidence to take this to the next level. I'm already making plans for a (self-financed) East Coast tour, and I intend to do as many readings and signings as I can in the New York area. This is a complete turnaround from my efforts on behalf of Trust Fund Boys, which I treated as if I were Thomas Pynchon. And I'm not.

But luck -- some of my own making, some out of the blue -- is finally propelling me forward. The book-signing in Asbury Park last summer... inclusion in the InsightOut 2006 calendar... my first blurb... being asked recently to write a piece for an anthology... all of these things, combined with what I hope is a greater maturity as a writer, have brought me to the point where I understand that luck is only what you make of it.

So now it's time to use it. I think I'm ready.